CentraleSupélec is a French public institution of Scientific, Cultural and Professional Teaching (EPSCP) registered as a higher education institution (Grand Établissement) under the joint supervision of the French Ministry of Education, Higher Education and Research, and the French Ministry of Economics, Industry and Digital Development.
On January 1st, 2015, CentraleSupélec officially opened, permanently uniting École Centrale Paris and Supélec, two French Engineering Grandes Écoles which, since 2009, have steadily developed their collaboration and joint developments in their fields of activity: initial and ongoing training and research.
The schools have been partners since the joint competitive entrance exam was opened in 1969, and have naturally developed alliances, sharing the same core values of excellence, innovation, entrepreneurship, international openness and leadership.
In becoming CentraleSupélec, they complete one another in their respective fields of research to cover all areas of Engineering and Systems Sciences.
Today, over and above its campuses in the Paris region and in Metz and Rennes, CentraleSupélec boasts:
- 4,500 students and 370 instructors and instructor-researchers interacting within an international network;
- three international schools (China, India and Morocco) and five partner international laboratories (in China (2), Singapore, Canada, USA);
- partnerships with 176 international universities and 140 companies.
- Download the brochure
The school develops its academic excellence and research through fruitful cooperation with large national organizations including the CNRS, CEA, Inria, Inserm and ONERA.
Ranked among the best universities in the world (164th by QS and in the TOP 250 by THE), and highly ranked for the employability of its graduates (28th by QS; 35th by THE), CentraleSupélec has a network of 35,000 graduates employed in all sectors and across five continents.
CentraleSupélec is a founding member of the Université Paris-Saclay, the T.I.M.E. network and the 4Tech Alliance, a strategic partner of ESSEC Business School, and presides over the École Centrale Group.
A rounded academic offering renowned for excellence
CentraleSupélec is an institution which is renowned worldwide for its four key activities:
- the generalized and high-level Engineering program (École Centrale and Supélec Engineering programs)
- research in the fields of engineering and systems sciences
- the Doctorate program (PhD) supported by the school’s extensive involvement in eight doctoral schools, and the Master’s degree program (18 options reflecting the axes of research offered)
- ongoing training in the form of Executive Education, delivering Specialized Master’s (23 programs) and Executive Certificates
A new engineering program in 2018
In 2018, CentraleSupélec will launch the CentraleSupélec Engineering program, a new syllabus of academic excellence developed around a skills approach, positioning the student as an actor within their program and their professional project.
CentraleSupélec’s main asset is its excellence in the field of fundamental and applied sciences: Mathematics, Physics, IT, Energy, Procedures, Industrial Mechanics and Engineering. Beyond this, CentraleSupélec students and researchers are highly capable of working with complex systems requiring a multidisciplinary approach.
“CentraleSupélec trains the new generation of sought-after scientific professionals: engineers who are perfectly adapted to the present while being forward-thinking. The school develops its visionary approach of a well-rounded engineer-entrepreneur, autonomous and welcoming responsibility. Creators, company directors or experts, it combines the complementary aspects of scientific and technological excellence and an openness to the world founded on the human values of respect, sharing and cooperation that characterize us all.” Hervé Biausser, President of CentraleSupélec
A large, internationally renowned Institution
Ranked by QS among the 200 best universities in the world, CentraleSupélec boasts a network of 176 partner universities in 45 countries and 80 double degree agreements; 30% of its students are international, 20% of its teachers are international and its Alumni network comprise 35,000 men and women employed across all continents.
Like the best higher education institutions, CentraleSupélec is continually developing its presence in the most influential countries of the future.
In 2005, École Centrale Paris, along with the École Centrale Group over which it presides, became the first French Engineering Grande École to export its teaching model abroad, with the creation of École Centrale Beijing in China. In 2014, Mahindra École Centrale opened its doors in Hyderabad, India, and in 2015, École Centrale Casablanca was launched in Morocco.
The school also implemented an active partnership policy with academic and research institutions all over the world, and with five partner international laboratories (in China (2), Singapore, Canada, USA).
As such, CentraleSupélec is developing a worldwide group of interconnected schools and laboratories which are encouraged to expand even further. With this in mind, the École Centrale Group signed a memorandum of agreement with the University of São Paulo in October 2015, to explore the potential of opening a school in Brazil and also work on a project for opening a Southern African École Centrale in Mauritius.
Université Paris-Saclay engineering school is a leader
CentraleSupélec has contributed significantly to the definition of the Université Paris-Saclay project, to the development of its Doctoral schools, to its Master’s offerings, and to its naming as an Excellence Initiative (IdEx).
CentraleSupélec, a leading engineering school:
- co-directs five Doctoral schools at the Université Paris-Saclay: Interfaces, SMEMG, STIC, EOBE, and Jacques Hadamard Mathematics;
- offers its entire Master’s degree program in the Paris region within the Université Paris-Saclay; for the 2015-2019 period, the program has been restructured around 14 subjects and 40 programs of the 2nd year;
- is implicated with six Excellence Laboratories (LabEx) and two Excellence Equipment organizations (EquipEx);
- creates partnerships with Saclay Plateau actors (EDF R&D, CEA, CNRS, IRT SystemX, etc.).
A school of the 21st century
Today’s world is experiencing unprecedented change. Digital revolutions, big data and globalization are all part of significant revolutions engendering huge issues and expectations for our society.
Companies need engineers who can address and solve problems associated with increasingly complex systems. They seek high-level scientific professionals who can grasp an overview of an issue and innovate, able to draw on a range of fields of expertise, to generate new solutions and to initiate and lead change while highlighting ethics and social responsibility and commitment, especially for social and environmental issues.
CentraleSupélec is a school which represents this changing world: it has always successfully developed its training programs and research activities to adapt to the changing times.
Today, CentraleSupélec brings together all its strengths to meet the needs of 21st century societies and companies:
- by training multidisciplinary engineer-entrepreneurs who are experts in complex systems;
- by developing innovative responses to the major technological, economic, social and environmental challenges through research;
- by enabling professionals to gain the skills they need to adapt to change and increase the competitive advantage of their company – while they are still working.
“CentraleSupélec is the product of a desire to bring together all our strengths to meet the needs of a rapidly changing world.” Hervé Biausser, President of CentraleSupélec
Major research link with Australian submarine project
Australian Flinders University and four of France’s leading Graduate Schools of Engineering (CentraleSupélec) entered into a ground-breaking academic and research cooperation agreement relating to Australia’s Future Submarine Program.Learn more
Engineering programs, Master’s Program, Advanced Masters, Doctoral Schools, Msc in Datascience, MOOCs, Executive Education.Learn more